EMF Radiation and the next generation epidemics – Part I
EMF Radiation has been declared as a Class 2B carcinogen by WHO (World Health Organization) and IARC (International agency for research on cancer) on May 31st 2011. This puts EMF radiation as same class of carcinogen as DDT, Chloroform, welding fumes, lead, vehicle exhausts amongst others. However, it doesnot stop at that. EMF Radiation is associated with a host of other health risks including
1. Neurological effects – Brain Tumor, Alzheimer’s disease, Cognitive impairment, reduction in melatonin, Neuroma
2. Cellular effects – DNA damage, Leukemia, Cancers including breast and skin cancer, Adult infertility and decreased sperm motility, Blood-brain barrier disruption
3. Wellness effects – Electro-magnetic hypersentivity syndrome, reduction of blood and oxygen flow to vital body systems
4. Other effects – Tintinabulation (ringing in the ear), Amnesia (Sleeplessness), fatigue, concentration loss, body aches and pains.
The key thing is that epidemiological effects of EMF Radiation on ailments such as Alzheimers, Parkinsons, Cancer, Autism in Kids and Infertility in adults in unproven. While epidemiologically unproven, EMF Radiation (Electro-Smog) is suspected to be a key factor leading to increase in such health problems in India. However, key statistics show a marked increase in these ailments over the last 2 decades. Sample these key statistics:
1. Over 30 million couples in India suffer from Infertility. One out of five couples is childless and the numbers are growing.
2. Infertility has increased by 50% in urban India since 1981. There has been a 20-30% rise in cases of infertility both in men and women in the last five years in India.
3. There is a significant rise in Autism cases in India – 10 million children reported to be suffering from Autism in India. Around 2% of children between the ages 2 to 9 are affected by Autism. Over the last 11 years, Autism has increased by 300% in India.
The future risks from electromagnetic radiation are so enormous that it is now considered as the 4th form of pollution – after Air, Water and Soil pollution (each with a different economic and health effect consequence). While the explicit relationship between these ailments and EMF radiation is to be firmly established (epidimiological evidence), good sense will tell you it is better to be safe than sorry. Small precautions go a long way in keeping EMF radiation risks at bay. Its just our life at the end!